LEVEL 32: THE GREAT PYRAMID
(NOTE: The diagram on the MASTABAS walkthrough page includes the four tombs at the beginning of this level.)
MASTABAS: Follow the tunnel from the MASTABAS level and climb out into another ruined tomb (number 1 in the diagram). Pick up a small medipak and shotgun shells in the corners. Use your pistols shoot the boards in the doorway then quickly draw some more powerful weapons to kill the blue robed bad guy waiting outside.
Across the excavation pit to the left (west) is another bad guy. If you like, you can kill him from here with the crossbow. (To save ammo, use the laser sight bug described in the COASTAL RUINS walkhthrough.) Take a running jump across the pit to the left (south) side. Run to the doorway for cover because another guy is shooting from across the pit (on the north side). Again, you can take him out from here using the crossbow or revolver.
Kick down the door of this building (2). In addition to the human enemy waiting inside, there's also a giant beetle. After you clear the room, find the concealed trapdoor in the floor. Lighting a flare might help you spot it. It's the one square that's divided into smaller squares. Position Lara facing west, standing just outside the edge of the trapdoor (as in this screenshot, which is actually from the MASTABAS level but is nearly identical). Press Action to lift the trapdoor. Climb down the ladder to the bottom of the shaft, where you'll find the GRENADE GUN (or 10 grenades if you already have the weapon). This is secret #1 (68/70). Climb back out of the pit.
Exit through the door on the left (north). (There may be a bad guy waiting here if you didn't kill him earlier from across the pit.) Shoot the boards to get into the next building (3). Enter and kill another blue robed guy. Avoid the trapdoor, which only contains a deep pit. Exit through the door in the northeast corner.
Across the deep chasm, you can see the GREAT PYRAMID. Before going on, make one more stop at the building around the corner to the right (4). Blow the boards away, enter and kill a couple of giant beetles. Pick up Uzi clips and grenades in the corners. Then open the trapdoor to get a large medipak. Exit the way you came and approach the PYRAMID.
Cut scene: A panoramic view of the face of the pyramid.
SCALING THE PYRAMID: Now it's all about climbing. Your goal is the bottom of the pyramid on the far left (west) side, but naturally there is no direct route. Instead you must make your way across the pyramid to the right (east) in order to climb higher, then back to the west.
(NOTE: If you need visual aids to help you with the climb, see this series of screenshots. The numbers given in the text refer to the labels on the screenshots. Places where giant beetles appear are marked with green B's in the screenshots. Places where falling blocks are triggered are marked with red X's. For running jumps along the pyramid, line up each jump so Lara takes off just a tiny bit before the edge, or she'll nick her foot on it and end up doing a standing jump instead. Also, be sure not to press Action while in the air unless it's necessary, since this shortens the jump.)
(1) Take a running jump from the jutting ledge across the deep chasm to grab the opposite ledge at the base of the pyramid. (2) Turn left (west) and slide down the slope to the flat ledge. (3) From there, take another running jump to grab the ledge ahead, which also juts out below the base of the pyramid. Pull up. (4) Climb up to the first tier of the pyramid and kill a giant beetle. (5) Climb up one more tier. You should now be on a flat area of the pyramid two squares wide and two tiers up from the base.
(6) Turn to the right (east) and take a running jump along the second tier over two slippery blocks to land on the flat block beyond. Immediately move Lara to the top edge of the flat spot and duck to avoid a deadly falling block. (7) After the falling block passes overhead, take a standing jump from the middle of the flat block, over a slippery block, to another flat block. (8) Repeat this to get to the next flat spot and immediately duck to avoid another falling block.
(9) Climb up one tier. (You should now be on the third tier of the pyramid.) (10) Turn to the right (east) and take a standing jump from the middle of the flat block, over a slippery block, to another flat block. (11) Repeat this to get to the next flat spot, which is two squares long.
(12) Take a running jump to land on a slippery spot three squares ahead and (13) slide down the pyramid to a flat spot three tiers below. Move close to the top edge to avoid a falling block. (14) Climb down to the ledge below, which juts out over the chasm. From here, take a running jump across the chasm to grab the flat, square block on the other side. Pull up. Turn left (east) and kill the giant beetle on the steeply angled block a little farther along the wall of the chasm. (14) Take a running jump to land on that steeply angled block. You'll need to line up this jump carefully, since only the narrow triangular top of the starting ledge is flat enough to stand on safely. Be sure to run along the right side of the block, close to the wall.
(16) Turn to face across the chasm (north) and take a running jump to grab the lower of the brown steps on the other side of the gap. (The edge is hard to see because the rocks blend into each other. I've marked it in green on the screenshot.) (17) Climb up to the higher brown block. (18) Then climb to the sandy ledge above and immediately duck (or hop back down to the lower block) as a falling block sails overhead. (19) Turn right (east) and take a diagonal standing jump down to the block with the large medipak. (20) Jump back to the previous ledge.
(21) Now position Lara at the left side of the flat spot, facing uphill but angled a little to the left. Take a standing jump to the next flat spot on the tier above. (22) Repeat the same type of jump to the next flat spot on the tier above that one. You should now be on the third tier from the bottom. (23) Take a standing jump from the middle of the flat block, over a slippery block, to another flat block in the same tier. This triggers the appearance of another giant beetle.
(24) Climb up two tiers. (25) Turn right (east) and take a standing jump over a slippery block, to another flat block. (26) Repeat this to get to the next flat spot and duck to avoid another falling block.
(27) Climb up two tiers to a long flat spot, (28) walk along this flat spot to the left (west), and kill a pair of beetles on the next long ledge above and to the left. (29) Climb up to this ledge and (30) walk across it to the left (west) end.
(31) From the end of the long ledge (where the beetles were), take a running jump to land on the third slippery square ahead and (32) slide down to a flat spot three squares below.
(33) Face west and take a running jump over two slippery blocks to land on the flat block beyond. Kill another beetle. Now you have a choice of paths. Do not climb up because after that, the next running jump will land you on a square with a falling block that's impossible to avoid.
(34) Instead, take a standing jump from the middle of the flat block, over a slippery block, to the next flat block in the same tier. (35) Take a diagonal standing jump down to the next flat spot. (36) Turn to face up the slope and take another diagonal standing jump up and to the left to the next flat spot.
(37) Once again take a diagonal standing jump down to the next flat spot. (38) Turn to face up the slope and once again take a diagonal standing jump up and to the left to the next flat spot. Here you'll be attacked by another beetle. (39) Climb up three tiers.
(40) Position Lara facing up the slope and take another diagonal standing jump up and to the left to the next flat spot. (41) Take a standing jump over a slippery block to the next flat block in the same tier. Duck to avoid a falling block. (42) Then do another standing jump to the next flat spot.
(43) From here, take a running jump to land on the third slippery square ahead and (44) slide down into the next level.
*NOTE: There are 70 secrets in the entire game. These are marked "(x/70)" in this walkthrough. To check your progress in-game, press Pause and choose Statistics.
Tomb Raider 4 Main Page
Tomb Raider Main Page
Copyright © 2000 - Stellalune (e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org). Special thanks are given to the participants in the alt.games.tombraider newsgroup, without whom some parts of this walkthrough couldn't have been written. Feel free to copy, distribute and quote this walkthrough, but please include this credit line so people can send me their corrections, comments and suggestions. Also, if you'd like to offer this on your own web site, kindly ask permission first.
This page has been slightly modified. To see the original, click here.
Stella's Tomb Raider Site